[plt-scheme] Catalogs 0.7

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 17 09:29:46 EDT 2002

That's neat!  Nice work!

Some comments:

1. If you don't have any directory selected in "Search in", type a
regexp, then click Search, you don't get an error popup.  This can be
confusing to a user, especially if they assumed something was selected
when in fact nothing was.

2. I'm cataloging a directory with lots of files called notes.tex.
(It's the directory for my course, so each class day I create a new
subdir and put a notes.tex in it.  By the time Emacs and SLaTeX are
done with it, there is notes.tex~, .Z10notes.tex, .Z11notes.tex, etc.)
In this path:

- When I enter the regexp
    notes.tex
  it terminates *very* quickly and gives me the precise list (lots
  of files).

- When I enter the regexp
    ^notes.tex$
  it terminates *very* quickly and gives me the precise list (very
  few files -- just one per class day).

- When I enter the regexp
    ^notes.tex
  however, it appears to take a very long time.  It also seems to have
  some refresh problems.  (It's not clear that it's taking very long
  as much as its not displaying properly.)  Maybe others can confirm
  these problems.

3. When I resize the Search Results window, the program doesn't
remember this on the next invocation.  (You may want to look into the
preferences mechanism for stashing such values.)

4. I suppose the ideal use for this would be along with some sort of
file launching facility, right?

I'm running on Windows 2000, so I have no feedback for other
platforms.

Keep at it!

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.