[plt-scheme] Re: A Couple of Questions on DrScheme/Mzscheme

From: Brent Fulgham (brent.fulgham at xpsystems.com)
Date: Wed Oct 2 15:44:48 EDT 2002

> Shriram Krishnamurthi <sk at cs.brown.edu> wrote:
> >> Strange. I am a math major and have CS as a minor. [...]
> >> In conclusion: I would put more more money on Felleisen's
> >> theory :-)
> > Have you considered that, just by virtue of being on this list, you
> > are not a good example to extrapolate from? (-:
>
> Well, here's a maths/stats honours student who has no CS
> honours at all, even though I did CS courses and can almost
> agree with the previous sentiments.  Also, I wonder: what other
> non-CS people are this list?  ;-)

Here's one.  I was an Engineering student (Mechanical/Civil) who
evolved over time into a Software Engineer.  The fact that I, with
a decent mathematical grounding, but without a formal CS background,
have come to many of the same conclusions as others on this list.
I just had to go the long way 'round.

I think this indicates that the design approach and philosophy in
HtDP (and even the approach in SICP) are in keeping with traditional
engineering methodologies.

(Just to stir the pot, we in the "hard-science" engineering majors
used to sneer at the CS students as being simpletons, since they
were always working such simple problems and didn't have to understand
mechanics, dynamics, or any of the interesting physical interactions
with math.  After reading a few read CS papers, I no longer suffer
from the dilusion that what we were doing was any harder than upper
division CS stuff!  :-) )

-Brent

Posted on the users mailing list.