[plt-scheme] Delpoyment/packaging questions

From: Kirill Lisovsky (lisovsky at acm.org)
Date: Wed Oct 2 07:18:19 EDT 2002

Hello!

Working on PLT-friendly packaging/deployment of SXML tools I've
some questions:

1. On a Unix (Linux) box an attempt to 'setup-plt' _any_.plt package
without root privileges fails with:
open-output-file: cannot open output file:
"/usr/local/lib/plt/collects/mzlib/compiled/cmdline.zo"
(Permission denied; errno=13)

while successful installation of the same package (as root) doesn't modify
this file!

So, the questions are:
   Why the (output?!) access to this file is required?
   What is modified  (besides the installed collection itself)
in the process of a collection installation?
    What is the proper/recommended way to remove a collection installed?
    ... to upgrade one?

2. It looks that
strip(1)
corrupts executables created with
mzc --exe
Is strip in need of some flags or such files are not intended for "stripping"?

And last but not least: can you point me some docs on the subjects
above? I've tried help-desk (as far as pack.ss), but I've probably overlooked
something...

Best regards,
         Kirill.

Posted on the users mailing list.