[plt-scheme] Memory management and MzScheme

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Mon Nov 25 12:42:59 EST 2002

Ron Stanonik wrote:
> Our extension is a large existing C++ application for which
> I wrote a MzScheme extension interface.  I use scheme_dont_gc_ptr for
> C++ objects which my interface creates, but the application
> itself uses new.

Ah.  I had the impression you might be talking about a completely custom
extension.

Short of modifying the existing app to the use of a conservative collector
like Boehm's, which ought to make it possible to run independently as well
as allowing easy (?) integration with MrEd/DrScheme, the approach you've
taken is probably best.

> I also ran into this problem with a relatively simple extension which
> used a library (libfam, file alteration monitor) which was written in C++.
> The library internally uses new.
>
> Does swig do anything to help?

Without modifying the library, I doubt there's anything else you can do that
would make sense.

Anton

Posted on the users mailing list.