[plt-scheme] (no subject)

From: Dominique Boucher (Dominique.Boucher at sgdl-sys.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 10:28:00 EST 2002

Hi Folks,

First, let me give you some background about what I do. We, at SGDL Systems,
are using Scheme as our extension language for our proprietary 3D solid
modeling technology. To help the modeling process, I am developing a whole
development environment (IDE) for Scheme with the following features:

- project support (à la VisualStudio)
- a (mostly right) syntax-coloring editor
- various validation tools (syntax, cross-module checks, etc.)
- code generation tools
- HTML documentation generation (à la Javadoc) with a search engine
- packaging tools for easy deployment of 3D scenes
- 3D visualization tools
- and more to come... (cross-module static analysis, visual scene editor,
CVS support, etc.)

All this, except the 3D rendering engine, is done in Scheme on top of MrEd
202 and the various extensions and collects: MysterX, web-server, XML, etc.
It's pretty clean, and fast. So first, let me thank everyone who contributed
to this very nice piece of software.

Now, my question. The 3D rendering engine is an ActiveX control. I
integrated it into the IDE using MysterX. Unfortunately, I find this
solution quite unsatisfactory because it does not seem as well integrated as
the other components. It is shown in its own top-level window that I can
only hide and show using the 'show' method of the mx-browser% object. Has
anyone tried to integrate an ActiveX component as a child window instead? It
seems to me that it wouldn't be that hard to specify the parent window of
the mx-brwoser% object at instantiation time, and pass corresponding window
handle (HWND) to the CreateWindow function... But I may be wrong. A few
advices would be of great help.

Thanks in advance,

Dominique Boucher, Ph.D.
SGDL systèmes