[plt-scheme] wrap editor% ?

From: David Richards (dirichards at cox.net)
Date: Sun Nov 3 21:50:28 EST 2002

Hi all,

How might one best achieve the following GUI effect in MrED?

Consider an outer editor frame containing snip1 and an editor-snip
containing snip2:

[snip1 [snip2]]

(The square brackets are meant to indicate a container.)

Add more snips:

[snip-1 [snip-2 snip-3 snip-4 ... snip-n]]

The inner editor will soon exceed the max-width of the outer container.
If auto-wrap is enabled for the outer container, the inner editor-snip
will wrap to the next line:

[snip-1
  [snip-2 snip-3 snip-4 ... snip-n]]

The effect I seek is for the inner editor-snip to 'break' into two (or
more) parts such that only the snips not able to fit on the first line
are wrapped to the subsequent lines.

[snip-1 [snip-2 snip-3
  snip-4 ... snip-n]]

If the inner editor-snip has a visible border, the visual cues might
involve showing the first part of this 'broken' editor-snip with a
border open ended on the right, and the second part (on line 2) with a
border open ended on the left. (Alternatively, a 'trace-around' border
might surround the region containing snips-2...snip-n.)

Based on a freshman understanding of MrED's capabilities, I do not know
a straightforward way to achieve this visual effect.

I believe this visual effect could be put to extremely good use for
implementing a novel and clever user interface for browsing certain
lexical structures. A fairly extensive survey of extant or theoretical
user interface frameworks has not revealed a single system that
provides for this visual grouping effect.

Based on my research, MrED appears to be the most promising framework
to implement a user interface employing this type of visual effect.

I would be most grateful for advice on strategies and techniques for
implementing this visual effect in MrED.

Thanks,

David Richards

Posted on the users mailing list.