[plt-scheme] Local Scheme Repository

From: Neil W. Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Fri Nov 1 06:47:02 EST 2002

Paulo Jorge O. C. Matos <pocm at mega.ist.utl.pt> writes:
> I have 2 plt-scheme in my linux partition, last release and last cvs
> exp-tagged. I'd like them to share a common repository of collects. Is
> that possible?
> That way I'll have to install it in both. But when there's a
> plt-scheme release I delete the latest plt-scheme release in my pc and
> install a new one. When I delete the old one webit, schemedoc, etc
> just go boom and I have to install them all over again.

Though you might be able to share collections directories by setting the
"PLTCOLLECTS" environment variable or using symlinks, that can turn into
a headache.  Also, the collections directories contain compiled ".zo"
files that are not necessarily compatible between different PLT

What might be easiest and most reliable is to keep all your ".plt" files
in a directory outside of your installed PLT directory trees, then
execute "setup-plt *.plt" every time you update a PLT installation.
It doesn't take long to run.

Additionally, if every time you update a PLT installation you have it
install a clean "collects" tree, you avoid accumulating unique cruft in
those trees that would create reproducibility QA problems.

                                                        Neil W. Van Dyke

Posted on the users mailing list.