[plt-scheme] stepper for R5RS scheme?

From: Michael Vanier (mvanier at cs.caltech.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 26 19:23:54 EDT 2002

Maybe I should rephrase my question.  I want to use DrScheme in conjunction
with a class that will be teaching out of SICP, which doesn't require all
of R5RS (no call/cc or hygienic macros, for instance).  Without the
stepper, DrScheme is less attractive.  Can the stepper be extended without
excessive pain to at least deal with that much of scheme?  I think that's
pretty much the "advanced student" level.

On a related note, I want to make sure I get this right: is the stepper the
only debugger that DrScheme has?  Or is something else available or in the
works?

Mike

> Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:29:20 -0400
> From: John Clements <clements at brinckerhoff.org>
>
> At 1:13 PM -0700 6/25/02, Michael Vanier wrote:
> >
> >I just installed the new DrScheme.  Nice work, guys!  One thing: currently
> >the stepper only works for the beginning student levels.  When will it be
> >ready for R5RS?
> >
> >Mike
>
> Good question.  Part of the answer is: when we can formulate a
> reduction semantics for r5rs scheme.  The combination of top-level
> defn's, call/cc, and other peculiar scheme features makes it
> difficult to come up with a good reduction semantics for the full
> language.
>
> I'm working on it, though.
>
> john

Posted on the users mailing list.