[plt-scheme] headers vs footers, plt-scheme subject line tag

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 19 09:43:18 EDT 2002

If you have a strong opinion on either of these subjects, please reply
to me directly so we don't clutter up the list.

1. The PLT Scheme list initially appended a footer providing list
   information.  One of our posters has since told me that this screws
   up MIME encodings.  Unfortunately, the mailman list manager is not
   smart enough to parse MIME encodings and generate an appropriate
   MIME wrapper ... and I don't feel too inclined to rewrite the
   mailman program.  Anyway, I was told a header would be safer than a
   footer, which is why I switched to the brief header.  I've since
   received several complaints about the header.

   Therefore: if you find the header annoying, you're welcome to
   offer suggestions, but any suggestions that involve moving it to
   the bottom [the only two available loci] must address the MIME
   problem.  You may want to suggest different header text (eg,
   without brackets so Emacs doesn't highlight, whatever) instead.

2. I've been told to get rid of the [plt-scheme] prefix for Subject
   lines.  If you like having it, let me know.  If I don't hear enough
   support for it, I'm going to get rid of it.

Thanks,
Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.