[plt-scheme] Announce: WebIt! - An XML Collection (version 0.4)

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jul 26 11:06:15 EDT 2002

--- MJ Ray <markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> > The WebIt! collection supports the creation and
> processing of XML, HTML, and
> > CSS using Scheme. The core of WebIt! is RS-XML, an
> abstract datatype for XML.

I'm interested in WebIt! as a replacement for the
hacky syntax-case transformation system I have put
into SchemeDoc (yes MJ, I'm still working (slowly) on
it!)  Some docs on the schema definition part of the
library would be nice.  I have no intention of writing
an XML Schema for SchemeDoc just to translate it into
Scheme!

> I sent you some queries about this, especially
> asking how it compares to
> SSAX-SXML and the match.ss currently in PLT-Scheme.

I'm not the one who is addressed, but I've never let
an issue like that shut me up:

- match patterns aren't as expressive at syntax-case.
You can't do something like

  ((let ((var val) ...) body)
   (lambda (var ...) body) val ...))

using match (not how var and val are split).

- SSAX interprets a particular type of sexp as valid
input.  This is easier to write but also easier to
make errors in.  WebIt! defines constructors for the
elements so errors could be flagged at compile time
(MrFlow anyone?)  The advantage of SSAX is that it is
more flexible: you can add new tags dynamically and it
won't blow up.

That's all for now.

Noel