[plt-scheme] efficiency

From: Adrian Kubala (kubalaa at mail.utexas.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 18 07:20:20 EDT 2002

MJ Ray <markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> Adrian Kubala <adrian at sixfingeredman.net> wrote:
>> While I'm on the subject, I wonder why there's no "mzscheme runtime"
>> -- why mzc requires the mzscheme executable and can't just link the
>> native code to a library.
>
> Other than the "neatness" of having a single executable, would there be any
> advantage to doing so?

Having a single executable is pretty neat -- if someone wants to use
your program, it's nice that they can just install a couple runtime
libraries rather than the whole dev package, or that you don't have to
do complicated stuff to build your script into the mzscheme binary.

> I'm surprised bigloo is so fast. Last time I compared the two, there
> wasn't a lot in it. Definitely not 5 times. I was doing some
> numerical test, but I don't recall which one.

I was surprised too. My script was regexp- and list-intensive, though
it seems Bigloo uses the same pregexp library as is provided with
mzscheme.

adrian

Posted on the users mailing list.