[plt-scheme] Browser support (was: New Help Desk)

From: Richard Cobbe (cobbe at airmail.net)
Date: Tue Jul 2 13:46:44 EDT 2002

Lo, on Tuesday, July 2, Paul Steckler did write:

> [Please handle PLT Scheme list administrative tasks through the Web:
>
> I've committed and exp-tagged files for the new PLT Help Desk.  The
> files are located in the help collection.
>
> The new Help Desk uses the PLT Web server and your favorite Web browser,
> instead of relying on the PLT browser.

This brings up an interesting point.  At least on version 200alpha21 [1]
on my Linux machine, the choice of browser appears to be effectively
limited to opera, netscape, or dillo -- based on my reading of
collects/net/sendurl.ss.  I note that it is set up to allow the user to
select amongst these three through the preferences scheme, which is
good.  Two problems, though:

1) it's not clear where one sets this preference.  I messed around with
   ~/.plt-prefs.ss, but I couldn't get anything to stick.  (I didn't
   work very hard at it, though, especially in light of point #2.)

2) It would appear that one can only use one of the three browsers I
   listed above.  Not cool; the browser I like (galeon) isn't
   supported.

Would it be possible to make this more flexible?

I imagine that supporting the remote protocol for tens of browsers would
be rather a lot of work, so you could use the same strategy that VM
does: have the necessary command-line magic predefined for the common
browsers, and rely on the user to do it themselves if they want
something else.

-----

[1] Yes, I know DrScheme 200 is out.  I'm lazy, though, so I'm waiting
for the Debian package to be released.

Richard

Posted on the users mailing list.