[plt-scheme] sirmail and html mail

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 31 10:29:11 EST 2002

You're using SirMail? I'm not sure whether to compliment you on your
good taste or on your bravery. :)

At 31 Dec 2002 11:29:06 +0100, Rohan Nicholls wrote:
> Unfortunately because of the company I work at, most of the mails are being
> sent in html format (the default for Outlook, it seems).
>
> Is there anyway to configure sirmail to read html mails after putting it
> through a text converter, or browser?

Which version are you using? The current version for v203 (on the
"add-ons" page, or in CVS) should parse MIME, and it parse HTML within
MIME. The "Decode" sub-menu under "Message" determines how much
decoding and formatting SirMail attempts.

If there's some other format SirMail could usefully parse, I'm
interested to hear more.

> Is there a way to sort by thread?

Not currently, though it would be nice.

> If not how would I go about creating a
> way?  I don't know how the threads are identified, so completely in the dark,
> any advice would be helpful.

Threads are identified through the "In-Reply-To" and "References" mail
headers, plus the "Message-Id" header. For example, the "In-Reply-To"
header field of this message indicates that I'm replying to your
message.

Probably the easiest way to modifiy the implementation would be to add
a new "sort" type. Figure out the thread relationships, assign a global
order, and then use the `sort' method on `header-list'. Providing
visial feedback of the thread branches will be more challenging, and
might require many more changes.

FWIW, the latest version of the code is considerably cleaner than past
versions.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.