[plt-scheme] slib packaging

From: MJ Ray (markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 18 08:54:04 EST 2002

Neil W. Van Dyke <neil at neilvandyke.org> wrote:
> However, if a user wants to install a PLT-specific package "foo.plt",
> and there's a dependency on SLIB, we have the problem that there are
> numerous different ways to install SLIB, and not all of them will work
> the first time that "foo.plt" attempts to load SLIB.

Why not?  I'm leading a sheltered life with a debian slib package and only
occasional FU's in mzscheme/slib interaction.  Which reminds me, I've a bug
to patch for that!

> Having an "slib.plt" saves users time and frustration [...]

Not for all.  Some users may install slib.plt when a package for their
platform exists and cause themselves much trouble later.

> I think this demonstrates some of the motivation for PLT's
> cross-platform package manager.

Maybe, but it's a shame that it doesn't interact better with native platform
package management.  How that could be done is a question I can't answer
yet.

MJR   http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   IM: slef at jabber.at
      This is my home web site.   This for Jabber Messaging.

How's my writing? Let me know via any of my contact details.

Posted on the users mailing list.