[plt-scheme] Problem with mzc

From: Richard C. Cobbe (cobbe at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 3 12:09:34 EST 2002

Lo, on Monday, December 2, Justin Lee did write:

> You need to link with the standard c++ libraries.  Just add -lstdc++
> to the command line, or compile with g++ instead of gcc.  The
> difference is because you changed the file name extension to cpp
> instead of c.

I've run into this before.  The OP may actually be missing GCC's C++
runtime, rather than the C++ standard libraries.  Linking with g++, as
Matthew suggested elsewhere in the thread, should work.  Failing that,
try linking against libgcc.a/libgcc.so explicitly: -lgcc.

The extension doesn't actually have very much to do with it; gcc doesn't
actually pay that much attention to the extension.  In fact, the only
difference that I've ever seen between gcc and g++ is that g++
automatically links in the C++ support libraries (libstdc++ and libgcc).
Both front-ends are, IIRC, perfectly capable of handling C++ source
code.

(Caveat: this is based on my experience with gcc 2.95; it may or may not
apply to gcc 3.)

Richard

Posted on the users mailing list.