[plt-scheme] I want the old help desk back

From: Robert Bruce Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 27 11:19:53 EDT 2002

At Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:13:05 +0200, Michael Sperber [Mr.  Preprocessor] wrote:

> Robby> Also, for what it's worth, many of our problems ahve to do with the
> Robby> network connection, not with finding the external browser, so using the
> Robby> old Help Desk browser would only solve about half of the problems.
>
> Huh?  The old Help Desk didn't *need* a network connection.

Right, but the internal architecture has changed dramatically. We now
use the plt web server to serve the documentation and every web-based
computation is now done with servlets. This has two advantages, from a
development point of view: the browser is better tested and (as others
have pointed out) we don't have to maintain a browser and our own
variant on html (with those <!--mzscheme="..."> tags).

So, we can't really go completely back to the old Help Desk, since we
don't have any way to interpret the html without the browser.

During development, I suggested that we add a mode to the web server so
that it serves the pages to a generic port so we can avoid the network
entirely and just use our old browser, but perhaps our energy is better
spent making the new one work properly.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.