[plt-translators] Translations for test engine

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 22 13:32:00 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Michael Sperber
<sperber at deinprogramm.de> wrote:

> Robby Findler <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> writes:
>
>> But yes, that suggests that Mike should use some other form of
>> parameterization (not the string-constants library per se), since he
>> does not want the language of the code to depend on a preference set
>> in the GUI.
>
> I don't understand this.  What exactly is the problem, and how would I
> work around it?  I translated messages that are part of the GUI.  I want
> them to depend on the user's language setting.

Oh, then I misunderstood. I thought you were translating things that
were part of the user's program.

In general, the problem is that you don't want the user-level program
to depend on drscheme's settings, since it should be able to run
outside of drscheme (and, more pragmatically, without reading the plt
scheme preferences file).

The test suite engine kind of straddles this world, so as long as
you're careful to do the same straddling, then you should be safe. But
do note that this means you should not be using the string-constant
form on code that runs as part of the user's program (since it expands
into code that might touch the preferences file).

Robby

Posted on the translators mailing list.