[plt-translators] Translations for test engine

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Apr 22 12:42:03 EDT 2009

On Apr 22, Robby Findler wrote:

> But, as far as dependencies go, string-constants should depend on
> relatively few things (hopefully just mzscheme), so making more
> things depend on string-constants should be doable... I hope?

IIRC, the obvious thing that broke stuff was accessing the preference
file for the default language.  But there were some other dependency
issues, though I don't remember exactly.

And the danger of constants that are not part of the gui is there too:
say that mike gets to teach in the us and runs a handin server -- his
students can get error messages in german since it's working with his
preferences.  (IMO such translations are at the same level as
translating the english words used for bindings, but the error
messages in the test-engine collection go beyond conventional
exception messages...)