[plt-translators] english-string-constants.ss update

From: Philippe Meunier (meunier at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 17 22:15:00 EDT 2008

Robby Findler wrote:
>This one probably doesn't require any changes in other languages.

Yes, I wondered about that too so I checked and I can easily create
the same shortcut in the French version since the French word for
"recent" is very close to the English one.  I think it would also be
easy to do in Portuguese and Spanish.

In general I don't know if there's a good solution to the problem of
translating keyboard shortcuts.  It's not the first time I ask myself
this question and I'm never really sure if it's best to try to have
shortcuts in the translated versions that are exactly the same as in
the English version when possible and simply drop the shortcut when
the translated text makes it impossible to have the same shortcut in
both versions, or if it's best to just use completely different
shortcuts in each translated version, or if it's best to use English
shortcuts when possible and invent new ones in other cases.

French is reasonably close to English so often it's possible to use
the same shortcuts in both versions, and I think consistency across
versions is good.  On the other hand this strategy obviously doesn't
work for Chinese, for example...

Philippe

Posted on the translators mailing list.