[plt-translators] english-string-constants.ss update

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Aug 4 04:03:44 EDT 2008

On Aug  4, Philippe Meunier wrote:

> The script that computes the diffs came a long time after the rules.
> It's a simple 'svn diff' between the current revision and the last
> known revision for which a change occurred.  [...]

I hope that you're also reading the commit messages -- for example,
for the two strings that I plan to remove very soon I'd write in the
log message that I removed them from all files.

> Ideally you'd want to have a GUI that all developers use to modify
> english-string-constants.ss, which would then automatically
> propagate all the changes to the other files when possible
> (deletions, renamings) and otherwise keep track of all the
> translations that remain to be done for each file and would tell
> each translator about it on request...

That kind of GUI doesn't sound like a practical thing, because some
edits can be done by developers -- like removing parens, or renaming
PLT to TLP.  But what does some very good is an interface for
translators -- something that will (for each lanagueg) nag you about
strings in english that are not in your language; warn you about
strings in your language that are not in english; and will keep track
of changes so if there was a change in an english string but no change
in your string, then it'll be highlighted as "requires attention".  I
imagine something like this with a web interface, which will boil down
to getting an email every once in a while, and doing most of the work
in the browser.  I'll start hacking it as soon as I find Mathias's
cloning machine.