[plt-translators] pretty big string constant

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 4 00:10:21 EDT 2008

Traditional Chinese should be the Chinese that is actually used in
either Taiwan or in Hong Kong which, at least in the case of Taiwan,
it fairly different in the details from that spoken on the mainland.

That said, I don't think we have someone who actually is conversant
with those differences who can do the translations, so go ahead and
change it back.

Robby

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Chongkai Zhu <czhu at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> Robby Findler wrote:

>>> 非常大 is literally `very big'. Do you really mean that?
>>>

>> I think so. In English, "pretty big" is a little bit self-deprecating
>> as if to say "it is big, but I am not going to brag about it". But it
>> really just means "very big" if you strip away the connotations.
>>
>> Robby
>>

> Form http://www.merriam-webster.com/
>
> 1 a*:* in some degree *:* moderately
> <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/moderately> </pretty/ cold
> weather> b*:* quite <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/quite>,
> mainly <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mainly> <the wound
> was…/pretty/ bad — Walt Whitman>
>
> I use a tool to generate traditional Chinese translation from my simplified
> Chinese version. So it would be highly preferred that these two versions
> meet with each other. I would suggest to just call it 大.
>
> Chongkai

Posted on the translators mailing list.