[plt-translators] pretty big string constant

From: Chongkai Zhu (czhu at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 3 23:43:31 EDT 2008

Robby Findler wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Chongkai Zhu <czhu at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
>> Robby Findler wrote:
>>
>>> - 非常大 is probably better than 相当大 for traditional Chinese. It is a
>>> much more common phrase in Taiwan, at least.
>>>

>> 非常大 is literally `very big'. Do you really mean that?
>>

> I think so. In English, "pretty big" is a little bit self-deprecating
> as if to say "it is big, but I am not going to brag about it". But it
> really just means "very big" if you strip away the connotations.
>
> Robby

Form http://www.merriam-webster.com/

1 a*:* in some degree *:* moderately
<http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/moderately> </pretty/ cold
weather> b*:* quite <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/quite>,
mainly <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mainly> <the wound
was…/pretty/ bad — Walt Whitman>

I use a tool to generate traditional Chinese translation from my
simplified Chinese version. So it would be highly preferred that these
two versions meet with each other. I would suggest to just call it 大.

Chongkai

Posted on the translators mailing list.