[plt-translators] Re: String constants GC

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 20 18:46:16 EST 2005

At Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:37:30 -0500, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> On Dec 20, Philippe Meunier wrote:
> > Eli Barzilay wrote:
> > >Maybe it's better to keep the comments if some of these things come
> > >back?  -- IIUC, most translators don't use subversion.
> >
> > I think the people who added the string constants in the first place
> > should be the ones deciding whether they want to keep them around
> > for possible future use or remove them, no?
>
> That was my intention with the ";!" comments -- make it easy to remove
> if you want to.

IMO, it is a bad idea to "simulate" revision control with comments in
file. I suspect that those string constants are just useless and I
advocate removing them.

I look thru them and they all seem old, so I think it is safe.

> > Removing those string constants wouldn't be a problem if all
> > translators had access to their respective file through subversion.
> > Is it doable?
>
> It would be doable, but require more svn configuration tweaking,
> setting up passwords, and actually learning how to use svn.

Sounds like too much trouble to me.

Robby

Posted on the translators mailing list.