[racket-dev] A proposal for parametric opaque types in Typed Racket

From: Benjamin Greenman (blg59 at cornell.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 29 22:44:40 EST 2015

This has bothered me too, but I've realized that I was on the wrong track.

The string "a" and symbol 'b are not different types. A struct (Foo "a"
'b), or (list "a" 'b), is a homogeneous data structure of type (U String
Symbol) just like Alexander said. This really upsets me -- I like the
Hindley Milner world where the compiler warns me if I make a list [1,
"two"] and forces me to wrap the int and string into a new datatype. But
Typed Racket is not HM.

About the proposal, I'm confused about what the syntax in Section 2.1
should do -- what is a "first class member of Typed Racket's type system"?
- Should an A only be a base type like String or Symbol
- Do you mean to infer the type of the first thing put into the struct as
the exact type for everything else?
- Would "first class members" prevent me from filling a struct with members
of (define-type (Option A) (U 'None (Some A))), where "Some" is a struct
with one field?

I totally agree that "something needs fixing", but I'm not sure what.