[racket-dev] DrRacket PF1 Search Bug?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sat Nov 22 14:16:32 EST 2014

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:

> Oh, absolutely.

OK, I'll do that later today.

> The two candidates are the trampoline approach and the "just move the
> documentation files over into the user space as if a package had been
> installed".

Oh, *that*'s the other solution?  That sounds pretty bad not only
because it complicates file installation which is already very complex,
but also because it's a significant weight.  (For example, the current
size I see is about 180M, multiply that for a department with a thousand
users and you get unhappy admins.)

> I guess the latter is better because it means there will be more
> homogeneity in the sets of files and whatnot, such that these kinds of
> bugs will be less likely to be unnoticed by in house folk.

I think you meant to say "former" (ie, the trampoline) -- yes, having a
very different setup for end users is also pretty bad.  IMO, it falls
under the complication point above: installation layout is not only
complex in itself, it's also a point that introduces many different
options which are almost all never tested, and worse -- they can easily
lead to very bad bugs.

> That is, I never noticed this problem because my documentation is
> already in the user-specific place because I build from source. The
> other option will make our users operate more like how my drracket
> operates.

(I'm not following that.)