[racket-dev] [racket] "lab notebook on learning process"

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue May 6 15:01:50 EDT 2014

Jens Axel Søgaard wrote at 05/06/2014 02:02 PM:
> Sam:
>
>> Could we
>>   - warn people when they use `time` in DrRacket?
>> - provide a "performance" mode that runs programs out-of-process, or
>>    just in another place?
>> - something else?
> I like this. DrRacket has a performance mode already (disable
> profiling and debugging) in the (hidded part) of the language dialog.
> The casual beginner
> is not likely to recognize it as such though.
>
> How about an extra button, a  "Run Benchmark" button?

In addition to these, would it make sense for the REPL banner in the
Interactions pane to indicate when DrRacket debugging and profiling are on?

This would be a hint to people about some of the common parameters
affecting performance, along with Racket version, memory limit, GC,
JIT,general platform, CPU arch, and maybe number of cores Racket knows
about.

When showing the run of some timed code on the email list, we can even
copy&paste this banner with it, as a quick way to convey some of the
pertinent parameters of our setup.

Maybe don't show this info in student languages, but show it everywhere
else.

Neil V.

Posted on the dev mailing list.