[racket-dev] Machinery for eliding contracts

From: Eric Dobson (eric.n.dobson at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 10 12:47:10 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 6:15 AM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2014, at 6:02 PM, Eric Dobson <eric.n.dobson at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Eric, are you talking about changing the proxy values that wrap HO/mutable
>>> contracted values?
>> Yes. I want the proxy values to include information about who agreed
>> to the contract in addition to the contract agreed to.
>>
>> I actually realize that I might need more than just the contract
>> agreed to because of how TR changes the generated contract to remove
>> checks for what it guarantees, so that info is not in the contract.
>> But I believe that can be added back as a structure property on the
>> contract.
>

> Would some form of hash-consing contracts work here? -- Matthias

I don't think so. But not sure exactly what you are proposing.

The issue is that there are 4 contracts here and 2 of them currently
do not exist at runtime. The 4 are TRs checks/promises on an
export/import. (Using import for a value flowing into an exported
function). The promise contracts do not currently exist as removing
them was my previous optimization (They never fail). What I want to do
is change the check on import from (array/c symbol?) to (if/c
(protected>? (array/c symbol?)) any/c (array/c symbol?)). Where
(protected>? x/c) checks if TR already promised something stronger
than x/c.

I believe that you are proposing that we can use the identity of the
contract returned by value-contract to determine what the promised
contract would have been. This does not work as (Array Symbol) and
(Array Float) both get translated to (array/c any/c) for export, and
we would want to lookup different promised contracts for them. We
could use weak hash map as an extra field but that seems like it would
be slow.

Posted on the dev mailing list.