[racket-dev] Machinery for eliding contracts

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 9 17:44:08 EDT 2014

On Jun 9, 2014, at 9:38 AM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at cs.indiana.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 3:19 AM, Eric Dobson <eric.n.dobson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It would be nice if the contract on the input to g could be elided. It
>> seems like this could be done by using something like prop:contracted
>> but that allowed accessing the parties that agreed to the contract.
>>
>> I'm imagining something like
>> (lambda (v) (and (has-contract? v) (contracted-value-providing-side=?
>> v 'the-typed-world) (contract-stronger? (value-contract v)
>> new-contract)))
>>
>> One issue I see is that we need an unforgeable property that the value
>> actually came from the typed world so we know that eliding the new
>> contract is safe.
>>
>> Does this seem like a reasonable thing to support/do people see issues with it?
>
> It seems like this could be simplified a little just by allowing
> contract parties to be compared.  IOW, at the point where you're
> writing that function, we have two contracts, and we need to know if
> the negative party of one is the positive party of the other.  Then
> you don't need to worry about unforgeability, I think.

Well some code could swap identities on such things. Not accidentally.
Plus I think this would eliminate the anticipated benefits if there
are chains of TR modules involved. I think Eric just needs to know
whether something came out of the TR world and flows back w/o being
touched.

;; ---

Eric, are you talking about changing the proxy values that wrap HO/mutable
contracted values?

-- Matthias