From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 15 14:19:55 EST 2014

At Wed, 15 Jan 2014 13:21:50 -0500, Vincent St-Amour wrote:
> At Wed, 15 Jan 2014 12:31:29 -0500,
> mflatt at racket-lang.org wrote:
> > + at history[#:added "6.0.0.1"]
>
> IIUC, x.y.z.w versions are not usually user-visible (at least, they
> don't correspond to any released version). Do we want to expose them in
> the docs?

When recording changes in "HISTORY.txt" files, I used x.y.z.w numbers
but collapse them into a x.y.z number just before a release. People
using a pre-release would then get detailed numbers, while those
numbers wouldn't show up in a release.

I imagine that it could work the same way for `history` annotations,
although I'm not sure that collapsing the numbers is worthwhile.

Meanwhile, for packages other than "base", I have been using version
numbers that are more coarse. For example, "scribble-lib" is up to
version 1.1 (with 1.0 being the version in the v6.0 distribution), even
though I've adding things a few separate times.

Overall, I would say that `history` is helping me move in a good
direction on versioning, but I would not say that it's the final word
on a worked-out process.

Posted on the dev mailing list.