[racket-dev] new package system collections and conflicts

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 3 12:19:47 EST 2014

I think there is perhaps a misunderstanding.

The design of the pkg system is (partly) driven by the observations
the core team has about what gives us special privilege and then
working to lift those restrictions so we don't need to operate under
that special privilege. And I'll note that this theme is one that has
long been part of the design of Racket, going back at least as far as
Matthew's "MrEd as OS" (aka 'the revenge of the son of the Lisp
machine' paper).

So: it isn't about you at all, really. I don't think anyone claims to
know what you want or need. It's about putting ourselves on the same
footing (in terms of access) as everyone else. We see this an
important step in making more effective use of the community and
driving Racket forward in a more distributed, global way.

As far as charity goes, I generally think the world needs more of it,
even if you don't, so I'm glad to see a little of balance being
restored to this particular thread.

Robby