[racket-dev] actionable items, was: comments on "comments on learning Racket"

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at cs.indiana.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 28 10:08:37 EDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 9:47 AM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> * SAM suggests to always start in #lang racket. Tell students to
> switch to #lang htdp/bsl or use Choose Language. I think this is
> plain unfriendly to our largest audience. Here is my
> counter-proposal:
>
>  when drracket starts w/o a preference file, we pop up a radio menu:
>
>  o Are you a student learning to program?
>  o Are you an experienced programmer learning to use Racket?
>
>  Depending on which bullet the person checks, drracket starts in
>  BSL [#lang htdp/bsl, one day soon] or #lang racket.

What do you think about combining my suggestion with Neil's suggestion
of how to help people who then misuse "the Racket language"?

Also, I think that in almost every course using DrRacket, the students
will need to learn how to choose languages, because they will switch
from one teaching language to the next. So I think this won't be
unfriendly.

Sam

Posted on the dev mailing list.