From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at cs.indiana.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 28 06:46:05 EDT 2014

On Apr 28, 2014 12:16 AM, "Neil Toronto" <neil.toronto at gmail.com> wrote:

> For anyone wondering what this stuff means: most mixed exact/inexact math
in Racket should be up to 5x or so faster now, depending on how
conversion-heavy it is and how large the numbers are. On my machine,
`real->double-flonum` is 1x or 25x faster on exact rationals (1x if the
numerator and denominator both fit in a flonum; we optimized the slow
path), and `inexact->exact` is 4x-100x faster (depending on the magnitude
of the flonum's exponent). Also, conversions from exact to inexact now
always find the closest approximation, so e.g. `sqrt` is a little more
accurate when given exact rationals.

Sounds great.

> FWIW, the C implementations aren't much faster than the Typed Racket
prototypes. I find that totally awesome.

Impressive! Can you share the prototype?

Also, what ends up slower? What would we have to fix to make them the same
speed?

Sam