[racket-dev] comments on "comments on learning Racket"

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 27 00:03:50 EDT 2014

I agree. Although I appreciate it helps in some classroom situations,
I don't think the status quo is best for programmers in general.

Also, speaking of Choose Language, I remember being very confused
early on because some options were "doubly hidden":

1. They're not under Preferences, they're under Choose Language.

2. Even when you do Choose Language, they're hidden until you click
Show Details.

Even after I discovered it, I forgot a few times; I remember hunting
for an option through all the Preferences "tabs", thinking, "geez, I
know I saw it _somewhere_ before...where the heck...?"

> On this topic (which is about the "Choose a language" language that
> DrRacket starts in when newly installed), I think we should just
> delete all of this code, and start in "the Racket language".
>
> Advantages:
> - eliminating something that trips up everyone who starts using DrRacket
> - reducing the number of people who end up in teaching languages by mistake
> - removing code (code that doesn't exist has no bugs :)
>
> Disadvantages:
> - Somewhat more teachers (of all kinds) will have to deal with
> students who use the full language

Posted on the dev mailing list.