[racket-dev] comments on "comments on learning Racket"

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at cs.indiana.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 26 19:26:06 EDT 2014

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 7:09 PM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> ;; -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ** What does it mean to say ", or get guidance"?
>
> Where should people get guidance? What about?
> Avoid useless words.

On this topic (which is about the "Choose a language" language that
DrRacket starts in when newly installed), I think we should just
delete all of this code, and start in "the Racket language".

Advantages:
- eliminating something that trips up everyone who starts using DrRacket
- reducing the number of people who end up in teaching languages by mistake
- removing code (code that doesn't exist has no bugs :)

Disadvantages:
- Somewhat more teachers (of all kinds) will have to deal with
students who use the full language

Sam

Posted on the dev mailing list.