[racket-dev] Implementation question

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 19 09:25:27 EDT 2014

Let me recommend events instead:

#lang racket

;; Nat -> Void
;; wait for t seconds before connecting to google.com, then stop
(define (do-work t)
  (thread
   (lambda ()
     (with-handlers ((exn:fail:network? (lambda (x) (displayln (exn-message x)))))
       (sleep t)
       (define-values (in out) (tcp-connect "google.com" 80))
       'done))))

;; returns #f if 3 seconds pass w/o the thread shutting down
(sync/timeout 3 (do-work (random 6)))