[racket-dev] info.rkt `deps` and new #:version keyword: Backward compatibility?

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 3 10:07:37 EDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Jay McCarthy <jay.mccarthy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Greg Hendershott
> The concept of backwards compatibility does not apply to beta software
> in my opinion. The next release will be the first release where the
> package system is not beta.

I understand. OTOH this is a public beta where people are invited to
use it for real, and pkg.racket-lang.org already has many packages. If
we had somehow painted ourselves into a corner where a required change
had no (reasonable) backward compatibility tactic, people would (have
to) understand and accept that. And in that case maybe we'd want to
"re-launch" the package system as "Works only with 5.3.90 or higher",
for sanity. But so far, in cases like multi vs. single collection
default, or #:version, it's very much appreciated the intent has been
to preserve it -- thanks!

Posted on the dev mailing list.