[racket-dev] package system, minimal builds and more

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 2 12:32:51 EDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 8:39 AM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt
<samth at cs.indiana.edu> wrote:
>> * redownload after fail
>> the package manager seems to download every packet again after a failed
>> install or user interruption. Would it be worth to reuse the once downloaded
>> zips if the checksum is the same (similar to the behavior of apt).
>
> I believe the package manager knows how to do this, but it doesn't
> seem to be doing it here, even though there's checksum information in
> the catalog files. Jay, do you know what's going on here?

I think I need more details.

If you have pkg A installed, then it should only download a small
checksum to see if A needs to be updated. If this is broken, then it
is an error.

If you do NOT have pkg A installed, then it will download the full
file. If that install fails, then 'raco pkg' cleans up after itself
and deletes the things it downloaded. Apt does not do this and saves
everything in a temporary directory that must be manually cleaned. I
did not implement that because it feels wrong to run a command like
'raco pkg clean-old-tmp-files' or something. But it sounds like you
want that?

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>