[racket-dev] experiment reorganizing the repo into packages

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed May 29 14:23:27 EDT 2013

Yesterday, Robby Findler wrote:
> This looks great to me!
>
> I don't have a good sense of what level of granularity is the right
> one, but I naturally would have gone even finer grained with
> drracket: the macro-debugger, pkg/gui, and maybe even the
> gui-debugger I would have separated out. (Probably you were focused
> on lower-level things first, tho.)
>
> Also for the macro-debugger: I think it is useful by itself, without
> drracket (I would like to use it for files that in drracket's
> implementation, for example). So I think there should be two
> packages there: macro-debugger-standalone with the "give me a file
> and show the macro debugger's result on it" interface and
> macro-debugger-plugin pkg that fits into drracket.

Besides the usable-by-itself point, I think that there's a strong
point for code owners...  In this case the owners are very different
(and my guess is that any contributions to the code you do/might make
are a kind of a suggestion), so it's better to split them; and also
there is no sharing of code + maintenance (which is why this point
doesn't apply to core stuff).