[racket-dev] proposal for moving to packages: repository

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Wed May 22 20:21:22 EDT 2013

At Wed, 22 May 2013 14:50:41 -0400, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> That's true, but the downside of changing the structure and having
> files and directories move post structure change will completely
> destroy the relevant edit history of the files, since it will not be
> carried over to the repos once it's split.

It's possible that we're talking past each other due to me not getting
this point.

Why is it not possible to carry over history?

The history I want corresponds to `git log --follow' on each of the
files that end up in a repository. I'm pretty sure that such a history
of commits can be generated for any given set of files, even if no
ready-made tool exists already (i.e., 'git' is plenty flexible that I
can script it myself).

Or maybe I'm missing some larger reason?

Posted on the dev mailing list.