[racket-dev] proposal for moving to packages: repository

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Tue May 21 08:42:42 EDT 2013

At Tue, 21 May 2013 00:09:49 -0700, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> >
> > To put it another way and overstate a little: I'm trying to get buy-in
> > from dev to make the switch to packages wholesale. The little bit of
> > staging in the plan is to make the conversion itself easier, and not to
> > simplify the switch for developers.
>
> Can you spell out how the directory movement you described will make
> the conversion easier?

I think we won't get an ideal package split on the first N tries, and
it will be easier to move files and directories around in one
repository (using `git mv') instead of among multiple repositories.
When we finally have mostly the right split, then we can use `git
filter-branch'.

Posted on the dev mailing list.