[racket-dev] racket2 suggestion: removing (or extending) eqv?

From: John Gateley (racket at jfoo.org)
Date: Sat May 4 21:46:11 EDT 2013

On 5/4/2013 8:26 PM, Robby Findler wrote:

> But chars are not mutable so the rule "mutate one and change the other"
> doesn't apply. So they might be eq? or might not. Similarly with
> numbers. In the case of numbers with the current Racket, if you have an
> exact integer that is close enough to zero, then the same value
> (according to equal? (and 3rd grade math class))  will be eq?, but exact
> integers that are far enough from zero will be equal? without being eq?.
>
> Some characters have the equal? implies eq? property (the ASCII ones and
> maybe a few more, I'm not sure) and some don't (#\λ for example).

Excellent point, and now I understand your efficiency comment better.
There's a definite parallel between bignums and multi-byte characters.

> No worries! And being racketeer is more of a state of mind than any
> great expertise, IMO. Your name has come up in my hearing before and I,
> for one, would be delighted to consider you a racketeer.

Thank you very kindly. I've been having a great time seeing what has
changed, there are some very cool things going on, very creative
and forward looking.

John

Posted on the dev mailing list.