[racket-dev] else clauses: possible change to match?

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Sat May 4 10:15:22 EDT 2013

On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> At Fri, 3 May 2013 17:29:52 -0400, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> > A few minutes ago, Robby Findler wrote:
> > >
> > > FWIW, this was the bug in redex that prompted me to send this
> > > message (it was there for some time since it wasn't a syntax error
> > > .... it was similar in spirit to the code I posted; things broke
> > > when #f was an argument)
> >
> > [I think that it's good to have a much more relaxed policy about
> > breaking compatibility in cases like this: so far there was no real
> > code found that uses the feature, but there is one instance of code
> > that would get fixed by the change...]
>
> Well, Ian provided an example from real code, right? Ian is willing to
> change his code, but the code sounds real.
>
> There's also the use in `unparse-pattern' in Redex. Maybe that's the
> troublesome one that Robby has in mind changing (or he would be happy
> to change it, obviously), but it's another real example.

No, that was not the example. The code I sent at the beginning of the
thread was an adjusted version of the bug that hid in Redex for, roughly,
months. It was a real bug and caused real problems and we knew something
was wrong but didn't find it for some time.

In other words, this isn't some made-up, code cleanliness-based request.

Robby