[racket-dev] using Racket to build an image-based Lisp: feasible?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 5 11:08:46 EST 2013

I have empathy for your perspective, because I have worked with images and -- at the time -- found them useful.

I will also say that in my own experience of developing a tiny sliver of this code base, it is much more like a conversation that I resume every so often over many years. If nobody read the minutes to me, I'd be lost as to where we last left off and what the other party knows.

I can easily see how someone who always works on 'the system' doesn't get that feeling and needs much more of a stream of conversation sense. And I can also see how support for images does not get in the way of reading minutes.

FWIW, Dick Gabriel uses the label "programming system" for your perspective and places it opposite to "programming language." I now think if we succeeded in arranging these aspects in a somewhat orthogonal manner, it might be a contribution.

Thanks for writing down your thoughts -- Matthias

On Mar 5, 2013, at 9:41 AM, mikel evins wrote:

> I don't think; I know. I've done the experiment.
>
> For years, while working at Apple, I worked with Macintosh Common Lisp, and with several tools that were built on it. MCL was an image-based Lisp, and so were the things we built on it.
>
> I grew accustomed to building tools and applications by directly modifying the running Lisp. It was a fast, facile way to work, and I miss it when I don't have it. We could iterate many times more quickly, and debug much more rapidly, than when we had to work with C or C++, or with any other toolchain that didn't offer the same liveness. We still had one of the earliest implementations of Smalltalk-80 around, and it had the same advantages.
>
> The process of building an application was similar to creating a document in a word processor, or in any ordinary application: open the project; make changes; save the project; done. Whole species of ceremony I was accustomed to from other development systems just got out of the way and vanished.
>
> We learned to keep reference images that could be given to others to bring them instantly up-to-date on what we were working on. We kept staged images that recorded our progress at known times, providing running binaries whose function was analogous to that of tagged commits in revision-control systems. In seconds I could switch to a previous known state of the whole system to recover from a mistake, or to compare with a previous known state. In a few minutes I could examine the environment in a dozen incrementally-different states in order to triangulate the cause of a bug.
>
> I generalized the lessons of those development systems to the way I work with whole operating systems. I prefer to work with virtualized systems all the time, because I can keep a backlog of VM snapshots that serve a purpose for my whole working system analogous to what saved heap images served for applications I was working on.
>
> One of the tools I worked on and with for several years was SK8, a system designed to support very rapid development of media-rich applications. SK8 was a sort of logical extremum of the paradigm of rapid development by direct manipulation. Every part of it could be "opened" and modified in-place. People built simple applications in seconds instead of minutes, and complex ones in hours instead of days, by literally snapping elements together and telling them what to do. None of that would have worked anywhere nearly as well if deployment were not as simple as choosing "Save" from a menu.
>
> Sharing working ideas and incremental progress was as simple as handing someone a saved image. They could be running your changes a few seconds after you mentioned them. If they had ideas for changes, you could be running those changes a few seconds later.

> [...]

Posted on the dev mailing list.