[racket-dev] using Racket to build an image-based Lisp: feasible?

From: mikel evins (mevins at me.com)
Date: Mon Mar 4 13:35:40 EST 2013

On Mar 4, 2013, at 12:01 PM, Jens Axel Søgaard <jensaxel at soegaard.net> wrote:

> Hi Mikel,
>
> You projects sounds very interesting.
>
> 2013/3/4 mikel evins <mevins at me.com>:
>> Oh, except for the case where I want to deploy on iOS, which forbids JIT.
>>
>> Of course, Racket doesn't deliver on iOS anyway, as far as I know, except through
>> the expedient of compiling to Javascript (which may be adequate; we'll soon see.)
>
> On platforms without JIT is is turned off.

Yep, but that negates the applicability of JIT to the use-case I was describing, at least on that platform, whereas the old MacScheme solution of selectively compiling ahead-of-time to native code would still work on iOS (if there was a compiler to that platform in the first place).

> I haven't tried compiling and running the project below, but
> the description sounds promising:
>
> https://github.com/nevo/racket-hack

Thanks. I had found it already, but I appreciate the help.

--me

Posted on the dev mailing list.