[racket-dev] Tweaked doc pages

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 1 16:43:45 EST 2013

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> At Wed, 27 Feb 2013 11:36:54 -0500, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> > It's now available at newdocs.racket-lang.org.
> >
> > There are two things that need to be addressed:
> >
> > * The layout should have the main column centered.  (I thought that it
> >   was fine initially if the left column is part of the contents.)
>
> That column alignment looks good, now. Also, I like the PDF links.
>

> The content column is wider than in the normal documentation display.
> That makes line-spanning paragraphs a little less nice to read, and it
> makes right-margin notes more likely to fall out of the display area,
> but those are not big problems.

I like this now, too.

> > * There might be a need for a shorter banner for the textual pages, to
> >   save some space.  (I'm not sure whether this is really needed...)
>
> I feel like the banner takes up too much space, so that I have to
> scroll more when browsing, and I doubt that I would ever want the
> banner content when I'm trying to read the documentation.
>

> It may be more that I'm just used to the view without a banner. A
> potential plus of having the banner is that it's more clear when I'm
> looking at the web site instead of local documentation.
>

> Would it make sense to add the banner only on the main documentation
> page? That would provide more consistency (especially when clicking
> "Documentation" in the banner), but it would take less space when
> reading documentation, searching, etc.

Most of the time when I'm reading the docs, I've clicked a link that goes
to an anchor that's not the top of the page.

In that spirit, could we change the section links to use an anchor at the
top of the docs? That would probably have the same effect as Matthew's
suggestion. Not sure if it easier or otherwise better, tho.

Robby