[racket-dev] checking package dependencies

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 29 10:27:44 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> Practically every package will need a dependency on "base", which is a
> package that represents the libraries in the core; it's the
> package-level analogue of having to start every module with `#lang
> racket'. The idea is that the content implied by "base" will stabilize
> after we finish pruning back the core.

I worry that this is another step that makes it harder to develop
packages. Once we move to single-collection packages by default, then
a github repository with a single `main.rkt` file is, I believe, a
package that works with no warnings or errors (it won't be eligible
for the inner rings of that package management system, though). Could
we have a default dependency that is implied if there is *no*
declaration of dependency information?

Sam

Posted on the dev mailing list.