[racket-dev] Realm of Racket

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 18 11:17:56 EDT 2013

Thanks for bearing with me with the special release. It's done!

Here is the message that went to 'users' and 'edu'.

Realm of Racket is finally out.  For the first 72 hours, NoStarch.com offers a 40% off coupon  plus a free
e-book version if you buy the book from their website. Otherwise the book is distributed through O'Reilly
and is available at the usual places wherever O'Reilly sells its wares.

ROAR is a book designed and authored by freshmen students from Northeastern, edited by myself and
David Van Horn. It is intended for novices with some basic exposure to programming, not necessarily
in Racket or Lisp-related languages. Following Conrad Barski's Land of Lisp, ROAR mixes instructions
on programming with the creation of interactive games;, all of it illustrated with drawings and short cartoon
stories. While LOL uses text-based gaming, ROAR is based on the HtDP 2e libraries, used inside of #lang
racket modules. NoStarch.com's web site includes a sample chapter, "Hungry Henry", which showcases
the creation of distributed GUI games.

At Northeastern, we intend to use ROAR as the recommended bridge between HtDP/2e -- which does not
use Racket but teaching languages -- and real Racket programming. I will also borrow exercises from ROAR
to run my freshman course on program design.

Congratulations to Mimi, Spencer, Rose, Eric, Scott, Ryan, Forrest, and Nicole for sticking through a
two-year production process.

Enjoy -- Matthias

p.s. I am told you're welcome to re-distribute the coupon message below as widely as you wish.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: No Starch Press <info at nostarch.com>
> Subject: 40% Off Realm of Racket
> Date: June 18, 2013 11:00:20 AM EDT
>
> Learn to Program, One Game at a Time!
> Email look funny?
> View it in your browser.
>
> 40% Off Realm of Racket
>
> For the next 72 hours, get 40% off Realm of Racket, and learn to program in Racket, one game at a time!
>
> Use coupon code RACKETEERS.
>
> Coupon good on print or ebook purchase. Print purchase includes DRM-free ebook (PDF, epub, and mobi).
>
>   Follow on Twitter   |     Friend on Facebook   |     Forward to a friend
> No Starch Press
> 38 Ringold Street
> San Francisco, CA 94103
>
> Add us to your address book
>
>  Update subscription   |   Unsubscribe    |   View in browser

Posted on the dev mailing list.