[racket-dev] experience using the `pkg` branch

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 15 12:26:32 EDT 2013

At Thu, 13 Jun 2013 17:56:52 -0400, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> * The error message when you look for a missing collection is really
> long if you have a lot of packages installed

Yes. I have been thinking about whether there's a better solution than
just not showing the paths, but I can just drop the path list for now.

> * Using parallel make, ie `make -j 8` doesn't work from the new
> top-level Makefile.

Will fix. I think this is just a matter of use $(MAKE) from the
top-level Makefile.

> * Even though unix systems don't use them, the extra libraries are
> downloaded and packaged up on unix platforms while building.

I think you're referring to the `server' Makefile target, which is
intended for a build process where the libraries will be needed by
clients.

In any case, the process for dealing with native libraries will likely
change/improve when we have those packages available from a catalog
server.

> * I think it's possible to confuse the local catalog by moving
> directories around in the `pkg` directory.

Definitely. You have to rebuild the local catalog after moving things
around.

> * `make local-catalog` is not incremental -- it always re-downloads
> and re-packs the external libraries.

True. As with the preceding two bullets, this can improve as we figure
out how we want to work.

Posted on the dev mailing list.