[racket-dev] raco pkg install should default to linking for filesystem packages

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 31 14:24:05 EDT 2013

At Wed, 31 Jul 2013 13:47:41 -0400, Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:
> When I have a directory foo/, containing a single-collect package, and I
> install it with "raco pkg install foo/", it seems to copy the contents
> of the directory, meaning local edits are not found by the system.
> Instead I have to "raco pkg install --link foo/".
>
> I would prefer it if "--link" were the default.

That would make directory sources a special case, but I think it often
makes sense for command-line tools to have weird rules[*], especially
if there's a flag to enable more consistent rules.

So `--link' could be the default, while `--copy' (?) could disable
special handling of directory sources?

[*] I adopted this position when changing the old `mzscheme'
    command-line parsing rules to the current `racket' rules. I think
    `racket' ended up with especially weird command-line parsing, but
    it has worked well, as far as I can tell.

Posted on the dev mailing list.