[racket-dev] git submodule for native-library packages

From: Asumu Takikawa (asumu at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 31 01:38:51 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-31 00:04:20 -0400, Asumu Takikawa wrote:
> Maybe I will try this with Typed Racket somewhere and see what happens.

One downside I discovered immediately after trying to set this up:
the subtree command is only available in git 1.7.11 and newer and it's
only available if the "contrib" tools are packaged in your git install
(it's not in Debian).

I tried using the subtree command to split out the main Typed Racket
package into a separate repo. The result is here:
  https://github.com/takikawa/typed-racket-lib

One issue is that the new repo only has history going back until the
package split. This makes sense, given that the old paths are nonsense
in the new repo. Maybe this is ok if the main Racket repo still has the
history though.

Unfortunately, this experiment didn't work very well. Doing a `git
subtree pull` with just one simple new commit caused a spurious merge
conflict, due to the fact that the new repo's SHA1s are different.
Splitting out the package will require more clever git hackery.

Cheers,
Asumu

Posted on the dev mailing list.